Wednesday, March 2, 2016

CE 5.1


1. List the top 2 candidates in the Texas primaries for each political party and tell me the percentage of voters who selected them. Page A1, jumps to page A11 (Hint: you will find the information you need on page A11 somewhere, but looking at the start of the stories on page A1 is smart)

 Hillary Clinton defeated Bernie Sanders with 68% of the Democratic vote, while Sanders had 31%. Meanwhile, Ted Cruz gained 41% of the vote in his home state while Donald Trump had 28% of the Republican vote. 


2. How many students will benefit from a $1 million donation by Gregg Lowe and his wife? Page B1 "Couple donates $1M..."

Approximately 600 students will benefit from the Lowe couple's $1M donation. 

3. What will Savara Pharmaceuticals do with its recently acquired $20 million? Page B7 "Austin's Savara raises $20M"


Savara raised the money for clinical trials of an inhalable antibiotic that could be used to treat MRSA in cystic fibrosis patients. 

4. Which of the 4 streaming titles would you be interested in watching? page D2 "Austin filmmaker getting..."

I would be interested in "The End of the Tour".


5. Who were the two teams that beat the UT mens and women's basketball teams yesterday emphatically sending the message that neither team is ready for the post-season and what was the score in each game? Page C1 (Hint: the boys played one team and the girls played another, they are not the same school)

The men's team played the Kansas Jayhawks and lost 67-37 while the women's team was defeated by Baylor with a score of 60-30.

1. Do you think Apple should be forced to create a backdoor to information stored on iPhones?

I don't think Apple should be forced to create a backdoor for their own products. This would cause more problems than it would possibly solve- I don't think it would be worth the risk to millions of people. 

2. If someone took your phone, would you want anyone to access the information/data stored there?


Of course I wouldn't want anyone unauthorized to access my phone- that's the point of encrypting it in the first place. It's my private information that I don't want anyone to see, and it's my right to keep it that way. 

3. Should "national security" be reason enough for the FBI or similar agency to access this kind of information?

I don't know what the FBI expects to find on the phones. I don't even know how access to a single perpetrator's information is meant to further national security. Power will almost certainly be abused in the name of 'national security'.



4. Do your parents censor your phone, meaning do they check your social media, etc?


My parents tell me they're able to see everything I do, but I don't like them to. I try to circumvent their censorship whenever possible. I just don't like the feeling of being watched, and I feel like I should keep some things to myself if they're not a danger to other people.

5. Do you think parents should be doing that for their children? BE HONEST


I honestly think kids should be given room to grow. When they're allowed privacy and dignity in their own spaces, it helps them to form a sense of identity. Contrary to what many parents may think, it creates trust between a parent and child if not every activity is being closely monitored. Kids may seem guarded or secretive about their information, but when you're younger every social interaction seems embarrassing and it seems reasonable to keep them from your parents. Of course, there needs to be appropriate intervention when the interaction becomes harmful. But a majority of what kids do when they're online is similar to their interactions at school. I don't see any reason for parents to monitor it too closely. 

No comments:

Post a Comment