Tuesday, January 12, 2016

CE 4.1


1. What are 5 key points listeners can expect to hear from President Obama when he gives his final State of the Union address tonight? Page A1 "The Presidency"


1.Obama won't work closely with Congress to pass laws his final year in office.
2. Obama will look back towards his accomplishments and forward to his presidential legacy.
3. The address will stream on YouTube, and the White House will debut its Snapchat account.
4. Obama will push progress for his Democratic agenda.
5. Two Austinites will be guests at the State of the Union address. 

2. How did actor Sean Penn play a role in the capture of drug lord "El Chapo"? Page A5 "Penn: 'nothin' to hide'

Sean Penn agreed to meet with the Mexican drug lord, and authorities that tracked the actor's location intercepted the meeting. 


3. Name 4 of David Bowie's most famous songs. Page A9 "True Genius" of pop music..."


"Heroes"
"Space Oddity"
"Fame"
"Let's Dance"
"Under Pressure"

4. What is the projected Powerball lottery payout for the lucky winner when the numbers are pulled Wednesday night? Page B1

The Powerball winner is expected to win $1.4 billion when the numbers are pulled.

5. Would you go to Star Wars Universe at Disney World (Why)? Page SA3 "Bring the galaxy closer...."

I would go to the Star Wars Universe attraction. Although I've only seen the seventh movie, I'd be interested in the props used in the movie. The concept art is also something I'd like to see. 

Read the entire story about the Powerball Lottery on Page B1.

1. If you could buy lottery tickets (Powerball or otherwise), would you?

I think I'd buy lottery tickets, but not too often. I get really nervous when it comes to games of chance, and I'd rather lose the smallest amount of money possible. I'd probably only do it when I'm feeling lucky. 


2. Do you know if your parents have bought tickets?


My parents haven't bought tickets. I don't think our family would know what to do with the money, and my parents are very sensible when it comes to wasting money on lottery tickets. 

3. Would you buy tickets for this record drawing?

I think I would, just because everyone else is and it's too ridiculously large of a number not to. I pretty much buy into what everyone else is doing, and it's funny when it's something as inconsequential as buying a ticket and finding out you lost.


4. Think carefully, what would you do with the money if you were to win (be specific and write at least a paragraph with your plans)?

  Nobody should be that filthy rich when there's people impoverished around them. $1.4 billion is more than anyone could spend in a lifetime. I would donate as much as I could to people who need it. It'd take a while to organize who and where to send it, and I'd have to do things to make sure as much of it actually helps people, but that would be my intent. Of course, I'd probably leave a safety net for myself and my family and pay for school and medical stuff, but that wouldn't put much of a dent in the prize.

5. What if you didn't win the big prize, but came in third and won $3 million dollars instead of over a billion, what would you do with the money now?


I'd do the same stuff, invest in my future etc. and donate the rest. Maybe I'd start a campaign of my own, to make sure to cut out the middleman. $3 million and $1.4 billion doesn't seem that different to me since I can't quantify it, but people who need it will know how much it helps them.

No comments:

Post a Comment