Tuesday, April 5, 2016

CE #5.3

1. How are AISD and the City of Austin working together to keep more money in the Austin community to use for schools? Be specific - Page A1 "City,Austin schools look for...."
The city is looking into a tax swap that would allow the city to take over certain school services. 

2. How many years will it take California and NY to raise the minimum wage to $15? Page A4 "Calif., NY to phase in $15...."

New York will gradually raise minimum wage to $15/hr over the next three years, while California plans to raise the wage by 2022. 

3. What school won the NCAA Men's basketball tournament last night and what was the final score? Page SE2 "Wildcats have finishing touch"

The Villanova Wildcats won the tournament last night, 77-74. 

4. Which of the 10 Amazing Destinations would you want to visit and why? Page SA1 "See the World" NOTE: This story jumps....

I'd like to visit Canada, I have friends there and it seems like a pretty place with lots of forests, trees and mountains. 

5. Do you like idea of Instagram expanding videos from 15 second to 1 minute? Why or Why not? Page D1 "Instagram videos...."

I don't use Instagram too much, but I'm indifferent to the change. It's interesting to see videos getting shorter and shorter as the abbreviation of things on the internet happens. It almost makes a minute seem like a really long time. 


Short Answer: As we inch closer and closer to the final decisions being made on who will represent the two major political parties in the next Presidential election, I am curious where you stand today. I know we have written about this process and who is doing what in previous current events quizzes, but perhaps you have changed your mind or something has occurred since we last covered this topic. Please address both political parties when you write your answers to the following questions:



Who are the major candidates left in the races?

Donald Trump, Hillary Clinton, Bernie Sanders, Ted Cruz, and John Kasich are still left in the races. Although I wouldn't classify Kasich as a major candidate, I don't even know who that guy is and how he managed to stay in for so long. 

Are you supportive of a particular candidate? Why?

I'm not supportive of any particular candidate because I'm not a very political person and I find it hard to trust the overwhelming majority of politicians. Thinking about it for a long time makes it clear that I'd have to choose someone I still don't like. 

Do you think the United States is become more divided or more united as a whole as this process continues?

I feel like everyone's becoming more united in some respects. The news stories of the upcoming election make it a topic that's on everyone's minds, and they can't avoid it anyway. Of course, there'll be people who I blatantly disagree with, but I probably wouldn't like them even if they didn't tell me about who they would vote for.

What concerns you most about this election?

I'm genuinely afraid Donald Trump will win, because that would mean a lot of bad things for me and some people I know potentially. But for the most part I've tuned a lot of it out, there's no sense caring that much about something I don't have a choice in. 

What are the big topics you think are pushing the discussions these candidates are having?

Immigration, minimum wage, and general wealth distribution are the main focus of most of the candidates. 

Which topics are the most important to you?

I feel like minimum wage (and wage in general) and college funding will apply to me the most, so I listen to discussions about those topics the most. 


No comments:

Post a Comment